Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Newfoundland Meal Prep--Pork Roasts Were BOGO!

Pork roasts were Buy One Get One Free at the grocery store, so meal prep for our Newfoundland trip is Pork Carnitas! The recipe I use is modified from iheartkitchen.com which uses leftover cooked pork roast.  I changed up the spices a bit, and substituted orange juice and juice from a lime--I didn't have a lemon.

Here's my version.  I think the lemon would have made this a little bitter, so I'm glad I didn't have one.  I also increased the amount of onion and only used garlic powder.

Pork Carnitas

In a heavy dutch oven, combine the following and simmer about an hour until liquid is reduced by half.

Carnitas Ingredients to make ahead and freeze:

4 cups of cooked pork roast, trimmed of fat and cut in 1 inch pieces
2 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 medium onions, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/4 cup orange juice
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 1/4  teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon coriander
3/4 teaspoon salt
cayenne pepper (optional if you like more of a kick)

After liquid is reduced by half, shred the pork with a fork.  Cool, and divide between freezer bags (I filled 3 quart bags and each bag serves two.

Making Dinner: 

Remove pork from freezer and defrost the day you plan to eat. You'll need these additional ingredients to make dinner:  small soft tacos, a bag of coleslaw mix, 1 jalapeno, cilantro (fresh or dried), sour cream (or mayonnaise), 1 lime including zest, and any toppings you might want--tomato, cheese....

In a small bowl, combine a quarter to a third of a bag of coleslaw mix with 2 tablespoons sour cream, lime zest, lime juice, minced jalapeno (remove seeds), cilantro, salt, and pepper to taste.  Chop tomato, grate cheese.

In a nonstick skillet, add a teaspoon of olive oil and reheat the pork on high to crisp it up a bit.  Remove pork to bowl, wipe out pan and heat tortillas in the same pan.

In warm tortillas, add pork, coleslaw, and garnish with chopped tomato and cheese.

So Tom is probably shocked, that I prepped three dinners using pork, his favorite,  since I usually eat pork a just three times a year!  But between the 'buy one, get one deal, ' and this flavorful recipe, I won't have any trouble eating carnitas 3 times in 6 weeks with just a tiny taste leftover for Rosie.

If you're keeping track, I've got 9 dinners prepped so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, mysteries?